"KURIHASHI" PL100 (PL04)

Photos will be enlarged if clicked.

KURIHASHI KURIHASHI
Summary Built in the 19th century and lastly served as a training vessel.
Tonnage1,060 displacement tons
Length58 m
Breadth9 m
Main EnginesSteam reciprocating, single propeller
Speed10 kts
BuilderHelsingørs Jernskibs- og Maskinbyggeri (Denmark)
Completed 24 December 1898: As a Swedish rescue tug the Herakles.
HERAKLES HERAKLES
(By courtesy of the Neptun archives, the Center for Business History in Stockholm)
May 1905: Purchased by the Imperial Japanese Navy, and renamed the Kurihashi(maru). Salvaged ships sunk during the Russo-Japanese War at Port Arthur.
15 August 1945: Located at Yokosuka at the end of the Second World War.
1946: Served for the repatriation.
1 January 1948: Transferred to Minesweepers Group, Ministry of Transportation.
KURIHASHI
(By courtesy of Mr K. Ueda)
Transferred 1 May 1948: Japan Coast Guard.
August 1950 - July 1951: Dispatched to Hakodate.
KURIHASHI
(By courtesy of Mr K. Ueda)
1 August 1951: Assigned as a training vessel.
1 May 1954: Changed call sign from PL04 to PL100.
KURIHASHI KURIHASHI
Cadet Training 1951 - 1954: The 1st - 4th training cruises along Japanese islands.
Bow Bridge
Boat KURIHASHI
Decommissioned 15 June 1954
Scrapped March 1955 by Hokusei Shipbuilder.
Scrapped Scrapped
Remark 1Date of purchase was February 1905 according to
"History of Imperial Japanese Navy Ships" (in Japanese) by S. Fukui, 1994.
Remark 2Main data from "Loggbok från Neptun" by A. Mattsson, 1970,
592 t,56.78 x 8.95 x 4.87 m.
Remark 3Main data from "Jane's Fighting Ships 1931",
1040 t, 182 x 30.25 x 11.75 ft (55.5 x 9.2 x 3.6 m), 1200 hp, 12.5 kts.
Remark 4Main data from "30 Years of Japan Coast Guard" (in Japanese), 1979,
1040 t, 58.00 x 9.15 x 5.10 m, 1600 hp x 1.
Acknowledgements We would like to thank the following people and organizations for their help: Center for Business History in Stockholm, Embassy of Sweden in Tokyo, National Maritime Museum of Sweden, Mr Yoshiro Miyauchi, Mr Takashi Okamoto, Mr Kazuo Ueda.